Webby
To celebrate Aston Martin’s Centenary there will be six (factory) cars in the show as part of the Coachmakers Float. This will be on BBC 1 Saturday morning 10.45am.
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
New clutches afterwards? 4 hours (there and back) at walking pace
Quote 0 0
Webby
The reference to a float made me assume the cars would be on a low-loader.
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
From the worshipful company's website "The company will process six prime examples of the marque"; I'd take that to mean being driven. Is anyone else going to the show?
Quote 0 0
Webby
Er, a float is "an elaborate display mounted on a truck and paraded in a procession".

I'll have it on in the background on the telly.
Quote 0 0
inforapound
Webby wrote:

The reference to a float made me assume the cars would be on a low-loader.

Easy mistake to make.  No need to be embarrassed.  This is a Coachmaker's Float.

Quote 0 0
John Purser
nmv2and3 wrote:
"The company will process six prime examples of the marque";

I hope the Worshipful Company are better at coachbuilding than they are at using English
Quote 0 0
asington
I always thought a float was an electric vehicle used to deliver milk! Now maybe that's what AM are planning to replace the Cygnet!
Quote 0 0
Webby
John Purser wrote:

I hope the Worshipful Company are better at coachbuilding than they are at using English

The verb "process" does have the pretty archaic meaning of "to take part in a procession". The useage was largely military and possibly remains so to this day.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Indeed, the Oxford Concise has it as 'to walk in a procession (colloquial)' and I am sure that will be the language used if the cars' drivers have to push them very far.....
I am sure most would recognise the verb in the sense I have just used it to someone here ; 'will you process those orders and stop pratting about with Facebook'. Prat seems too colloquial a verb for the dictionary.
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
spelt the same but pronounced differently, one's short/long, the other long/short syllabically
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Anyone going to watch ?
"I lurve the smell of meltin' clutches in the mawnin". 
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
I'll be at the western end of Cheapside, and there's often a bottleneck there as the procession turns left around St Paul's. It'll be interesting to see if the cars are being driven and if so how many get to this point as the procession takes best part of 90 minutes to actually cross the start line from the marshalling areas all over the City. From start marshalling to dispersal at the end of the show is about 8 hours so it's a challenging day for anyone taking part whether on a float or walking, and why especially the young people in marching bands get such an ovation, and particularly when they stick at it in pouring rain. So fingers crossed for dry (and calm) weather
Quote 0 0
John Purser
I'm interested in the use of floats (not Inforapound's  ) : every local (to here) Carnival, Bonfire night, Maypole queen etc procession that I know of has been "elf'n'safetyed" and "sky-high insuranced" off the streets if open lorries with people on them are involved, making it harder for charities to raise money. How does it work in the City ?
Quote 0 0
Downr
i think they should organise it like the london marathon - you know groups of faster runners go off first and then the sloggers at the end. That way the Astons could make a proper noise and be done in 10 minutes
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Excuse me... "sloggers"?  One of my pet hates is when people talk about those towards the back of the course in derogatory terms. Whatever you call them they've run 26 miles. I get similarly annoyed when the BBC call them "fun runners", charity runners maybe but again, fun runners sounds so demeaning. 

As you were...
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
Downr
Ok I stand corrected; the Aston Martins could go first and then the "possibly charity-orientated but definitely not fun" floats could set off afterwards

Sure they would attract a bigger crowd for that
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
How does it work in the City? Because the City is bigger than the jobsworths, and anything is possible if the organisation is done properly. Pigs might fly Robdown, but at the Show all follow the horses; tongue in cheek you may be but as someone from London I am surprised you've not been to the Show before. Rich is nearly on the money is saying "as you were", the heart of the Show's planning is a drill sergeant's pace stick, 30 inches, 116 paces a minute, just like State Ceremonial. And most people on Saturday will (if the cars are being driven) only hear them because they will be so low as to be below the sight line because the crowds will be so deep along the route. And if the cars are actually on a float, people will say that's dumb and ignore them because they don't wave back or play dixie, oh and here come the worshipful company of marketors, aren't they interesting
Quote 0 0
Downr
nmv2and3 wrote:

How does it work in the City? Because the City is bigger than the jobsworths, and anything is possible if the organisation is done properly. Pigs might fly Robdown, but at the Show all follow the horses; tongue in cheek you may be but as someone from London I am surprised you've not been to the Show before. Rich is nearly on the money is saying "as you were", the heart of the Show's planning is a drill sergeant's pace stick, 30 inches, 116 paces a minute, just like State Ceremonial. And most people on Saturday will (if the cars are being driven) only hear them because they will be so low as to be below the sight line because the crowds will be so deep along the route. And if the cars are actually on a float, people will say that's dumb and ignore them because they don't wave back or play dixie, oh and here come the worshipful company of marketors, aren't they interesting

Thank you for that somewhat odd and sanctomonius reply nmv2and3. 
Quote 0 0
goldthumb
RobDown wrote:
Thank you for that somewhat odd and sanctomonius reply nmv2and3.

Write out one hundred times "I must learn to spell sanctimonious correctly"
Quote 0 0
Downr
Oops
Quote 0 0
John Purser
nmv2and3 wrote:

as someone from London I am surprised you've not been to the Show before.

Who, me ?
No, Suffolk  (now)
Been invited to take part but have yet to make it.
Other interests take over.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
nmv2and3 wrote:

How does it work in the City? Because the City is bigger than the jobsworths,

I must quote that to the Prudential 
Quote 0 0
Downr
I think that was aimed at me John and was somewhat odd as the poster doesn't know me (as far as I'm aware) so I have no idea why he's incorrectly assumed that I've never been to the parade (I've been twice, albeit as spectator not participant).

On with the show...
Quote 0 0