Dwarf
I am going to enter my DB7 at Blenheim (guarantees a good parking spot apparantly ), I would welcome some tips on presentation and advice on what to look out for.
Quote 0 0
RickH
Dwarf, well done, we'll look forward to seeing you there.

My first Concours was at Kingston Lacey last Oct, and I turned up not really knowing what to expect.  However, everyone was very friendly and helpful, even lending me some cleaning stuff for the last minute 'spit & polish'.

If you email Audrey at AMOC HQ (pr@amoc.org) she will email you an entry form together with rules and general guidance on preparation of the car.  However, don't be put off by all the references to cleaning the engine and chassis bit.  Unless you are really serious about coming first (and I'm not!) then a jolly good clean and polish inside and out will at least make the car a respectable Concours entrant.

That said, I too am a Concours newbie, and I'm sure there are other that can provide much more detailed advice.
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
I entered the newcomers class last year.  It seemed to me that the most important thing was to know where your fuse boxes are.  The judges were fanatical about inspecting the insides of them.  Whether teh fuses themselves are supposed to be taken out individually and polished I do not know.

It is also best not to know anything about the history of your car since it seemed to me that any answer to a question about it could only lose points.

The judges were fanatical about quite a few other things including the wheel rims.  A bit like the sergeant inspecting the barracks a dirty finger after running it along the wheel rim indicates big trouble for the rest of the inspection.

Jimbo
Quote 0 0
alecmartin
start by removing as many engine parts as you can and put them on your dining room table.......then after two weeks on your back polishing exhausts, polish all engine components and replace.Remove all wheel arch protection and renew and repaint...Have new carpets made..remove dash top to clean inside of front screen.Remove interior trim for cleaning....repaint floor under carpets...add shoe polish to all black leather bits around dash area and heel mat...remove door locks for cleaning...wheels are best done in the bath...make sure you park with all tyre valves pointing in the same dirrection....all rocker nuts to line up...remove headlight and spots for cleaning...remove exhaust sampler points and polish...buy new wiper arms to replace non original ones....remove bonnet and renew all insulation underneath and repaint...have as many parts replated as you can.i.e. carb vacuum pipes and bonnet catches...replace rear light clusters with non faded ones i.e.new...remove fuel filler flaps to enable the inside of fuel filler caps to be cleaned..renew dull springs...remove front and rear bumpers to allow cleaning inside..when complete wrap in cling fill replace on car and leave fill untill you get to event,remoce film (this will prevent any exhaust muck form being drawn in to the bumper on the journey...send sample of seat piping of and have hide colour made up to match...apply this over a period of a few hours to seat piping...then the normal few hours of zymol application....polish oil filler cap..repaint valve covers  etc  etc etc.....have fun, I,ve got nothing to do this year!..oh and drive a couple of hundred miles on shitty roads park up in hotel carpark and listen to the rain...arrive and compete with those that live up the road...good luck...might see you there
Quote 0 0
Cyclist55
I disagree with one thing, Alec.  Once you've cleaned inside your bumpers, you should coat the inside with cavity wax.  Then during judging, try to keep a straight face as the judges put their fingers inside and draw them out with sticky gunge all over them.
RichardB
Quote 0 0
RickH
Alec, thanks for the excellent advice on how to win a Concours (and having seen your car I know you are not kidding!).

However, advice for a Newbie must be to turn up after giving the car a good once over, and feel proud of 'your baby', lined up with an array of other gorgeous Astons.

<>
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Just enjoy the parking space!
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Alec good to see you back posting again.
Quote 0 0
fjungman
In a previous life, I took my Corvette to the Corvette Nationals at the urging of a friend who was a fanatic.  I got to his place the night before and he said "you need to clean your wheels".  I though "I just did last week...".  Needless to say, we spent many hours in his driveway cleaning it.  This was the first time I hear the word "detailing" applied to an automobile (now every carwash in the USA claims to do it for $50 and in 15 minutes).

I went and showed my car.  The judges gave me a tounge lashing.  Dirt here, lint there.  Not enough leather conditioner on the bottom of the back of the seats.  One pointed out that one headlight (retractable style) was not perfectly aligned to the body panels.  I said "it came that way".  Wrong answer.  Those judges were P***** Off when I took first place.  Seems I was the only entery in my class.  ;D

I never detailed it again and sold it as an "award winner".  That was my first and last 'vette.
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
thanks everyone for the tips.

it will still be fun to line up with some lovely cars.

Quote 0 0
SCBPX
Yes it is good to see you posting again Alec

I still think you need to get out more though !

did you sell the car in the end?  it was a fabulous thing M8  have you another project in mind.

Steve
Quote 0 0
Cyclist55
Congratulations, Dwarf, on your second place today.  A superb result.

Cyclist.
RichardB
Quote 0 0
RickH
Dwarf,

Well done on your 2nd place - so it was worth entering after all 

Have you 'got the bug' for Concours now? 

Rick
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Rick did you finish as predicted? Martin
Quote 0 0
RickH
Depends if you predicted fourth (out of four )
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Hey, you placed! 
Quote 0 0
Dwarf
;D yes  ;D what a great day. Was worth the effort.

Thanks Rick for being a gent. The cars were stunning across all classes.

Got some valuable feed back from the judges so I'll be back next time for sure.

The winning Vantage Volante was very nice indeed.
Quote 0 0
alecmartin
congratulations on your place..

alec
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Nothing wrong with 4/4. What about 1/1?
Roger I
Quote 0 0
fjungman
Lagondanet wrote:

Nothing wrong with 4/4. What about 1/1?

I think 4/4 and 1/1 have the same standing.  My 1/1 could easily have been 150/150 had that many cars shown.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
I am happy with 1/1.  You make the effort to turn up & represent your class. It was not always so.

;D
Roger I
Quote 0 0
annereed
A few photos from the day which I've put on the area 13 page.  Hopefully this link will work.http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=486&Itemid=51

Anne
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
That was your prediction rick but it doesn't matter much as my wife thought your DB7 was the best car, Rapide aside, she saw all day. Martin
Quote 0 0