campbell1955
Just kidding...though is there scope to have a Vanquish only gathering in the UK next year?

We could have a concourse competition, wheel changing competition, pie eating, Vanquish quiz?? or how about a spark plug changing competition, maybe need a Vanquish weekend for that. Best of all arrange it somewhere with a runway

Just a thought

AC
Quote 0 0
Russell
could be a good idea, i would be up for it.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
duncan_wd
I'm up for it.
I'll enter the gearbox changing competition.
Lifes not a trial run. Do it don't wish it!

Area 9 North West England
Quote 0 0
nielfj
I'll take paint caliper painting....
Quote 0 0
Webby
I'll be there in the Vanish...
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
If you're serious about wanting to find a runway to play on, I'd make 4 observations. First the best are military so organisation will not be simple, and their number is declining. Then there's length: even the 8500 foot Cottesmore runway was not long enough for a V8 Le Mans to max out whilst allowing a safe stopping distance. Also the surface quality is very variable, Cottesmore's was very good, but now shut, but Yeovilton is awful for car tyres (fine for aircraft). Then if you want to avoid MSA regulations applying, you'll need to make sure there is no timing, in-car video etc. Simplest would be to go for a "public" event but recognise you won't get Vmax in your Vanquish
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Sculthorpe
"The actual tarmac section of the runway is 9000ft but there are also two concrete section run-off areas at both ends making the total length closer to 11,000ft"
I have been trying to find out the status of this runway, to see if it could be used for a dash. It used to be.
Ditto the runways at Rendlesham and at Bentwaters.
The Oily Rag Club were/are alleged to be able to arrange "test drives" but it's all a bit vague.
http://www.bentwatersparks.com/
and
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/venues.asp

Dunsfold is another well-known venue. But you'd pay handsomely.
Wisley, Surrey is still a runway but disused for decades. Looks as rough as a bear's bum, even from Googlemaps. Was pretty smooth when I learned to drive on it
Problem is that many of these Cold War runways were mega thick and the cost of ripping them up (and finding a use for the spoil) is also mega. So they are just left to degrade.
Wisley's not far from Brooklands where you could ask to play on the Mercedes track and then wreck your clutches on the Test Hill.
Prodrive have a private test track near Gaydon, based on an aerodrome, so has a runway of sorts.

So, Santa Pod may be the best bet
Quote 0 0
Russell
i am not fussed about running my vanquish into potential destruction. i have other speed machines for that.
happy to have a meeting somewhere relevant and have a chat over coffee and buns and make oooh and aaah noises at other vanqui
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Russell wrote:
not fussed about running my vanquish into potential destruction

You'll get a name as a party-pooper Russell ;D

campbell1955 wrote:
We could have a concours competition, wheel changing competition, pie eating, Vanquish quiz??

Russell wrote:
Have a chat over coffee and buns and make oooh and aaah noises at other vanqui

You may find Brooklands to be a reasonable venue - coffee, buns and pies plus a lot more to see when you are all ooohed and aaahed out.
(Modern) hotel on site
Quote 0 0
campbell1955
If this is a goer, I would make a pitch for holding it slightly North of London for the four or five Vanquish owners that don't live in the South of England.

How about Gaydon?, we could show them where they have deviated from the true path?

AC
Quote 0 0
nielfj
Totally agree. In fact how about coming to scotland????
Quote 0 0
Doctor Houx
This was discussed last year, and the possibility of doing it at Gaydon or (better IMO) AM Works at NP, as was held there a few years ago.

I spoke to Webby and Ulrich at the time, and agreed I would be willing to help organise this on behalf of AMOC Vanquish owners.  Either AM venue is fairly central and first step would be to see if AM are willing to host and any suitable dates they can suggest.  If no go, then its back to Plan B for a venue.
"Racing is life; everything that happens before or after is just waiting."
Steve McQueen
Quote 0 0
duncan_wd
I would think Works Service would see this as an ideal opportunity to show us why we should be taking our P&J's to them for some TLC.
Lifes not a trial run. Do it don't wish it!

Area 9 North West England
Quote 0 0
campbell1955
Works Service would "work" for me, it's a little bit south of Dundee........but it could be really good from a technical / maintenance education  point of view

AC
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Just Vanquish?

That's racist!
Quote 0 0
John Purser
RAC-ist, dear boy ?
Do you mean they will all end up at the venue on Relay trucks ?  ;D

There is another significant gathering (apart from the Bonhams auction) at AM Works in NP next year. (You beat me to the recommendation, Dr Houx) 
However, a word could be had if you can give me (fairly) realistic numbers likely to need Russell's coffee and buns and Campbell's pies.   
Need to avoid all the main 'events' of the year though and that get's more and more difficult. Festivals, Carfest, Classics, real and Classic Le Mans, FoS, our Concours all mop up the dates.
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
So does Pistonheads annual visit, but that's Works marketing their capacity v. their dealers rather than receiving pilgrims
Quote 0 0
Russell
Going home to NP would be good
mine has never been and i have never had a walk around either.
i thought they were offering a freebie inspection at one point. they could free a few ramps up
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Russell wrote:
offering a freebie inspection at one point.

.......always a risk you have to walk home if they find something truly horrible.
But a good idea to ask.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
nmv2and3 wrote:
rather than receiving pilgrims

In days of yore, pilgrims were usually expected to bring a substantial 'wedge'......
So, not much changed ?
Quote 0 0
stevobland
Are Lagondas coming too then?
Hopefully be joining the clan soon ;D
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Very droll !
In true Webby-style, it is non capital letter, so defined as bending money rather than the car model that creates so much unrequited passion.
Quote 0 0
Webby
John Purser wrote:
...so defined as bending money...

Presumably this is money to be spent on onanistic pleasures?
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Whatever takes your fancy in Datcote.
Quote 0 0
Webby
It's your bending money. ;D I'll stick to the folding stuff.

On a pedantic note DATCOTE is an acronym and so is all caps.
Quote 0 0