geewizzpip
So, with one month to go, we get an email saying the Celebration Display at the Autumn Concours is to be the Virage.

Now because it wasn't announced early enough I had already booked a holiday so would miss the concours for the second time (as AMOC couldn't get its act together early enough to announce the Spring Concours).  

To cap it all, as the owner of the only Elite Class winning Virage, I will miss the display too.

For God's sake you people get your organisation and communication skills sharpened.  Some of us need NOTICE for these things.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.  Not sure my subscription was worth it this year.

Quote 0 0
philmw
Like you I cannot make the Autumn Concours either.  Shame, as I hear it will be a unique display this year

Quote 0 0
Flashcat
Must have been asleep, when and where is the Autumn Concours.

Flash
Quote 0 0
philmw
What happened to Cumbria?

ETA: 23rd September.

Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Very good Phil.  At least they won't be trailered there for the concours! [wink]
Quote 0 0
Fallonator
I will be attending; luckily I will be back in the UK at the time. I hope my Virage and I are not alone [confused].
Quote 0 0
Anne
geewizzpip wrote:
So, with one month to go, we get an email saying the Celebration Display at the Autumn Concours is to be the Virage.

Now because it wasn't announced early enough I had already booked a holiday so would miss the concours for the second time (as AMOC couldn't get its act together early enough to announce the Spring Concours).  

To cap it all, as the owner of the only Elite Class winning Virage, I will miss the display too.

For God's sake you people get your organisation and communication skills sharpened.  Some of us need NOTICE for these things.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.  Not sure my subscription was worth it this year.

I apologise for the frustration this has caused. I have asked the Concours committee to organise for 2 years in advance, so that should help. The date of the event has been in the last 2 AMN.

We currently have an issue with the online bookings in that you can only book one ticket at a time. we are working to resolve this. Please Call Christine at HQ to book in the meantime.

Anne
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Anne, thanks for replying but in terms of concours people do need to know a good year in advance as the Spring event can clash with weekend away trips and the summer one with holidays. Two AMN’s is nowhere near adequate.

As for the Virage Celebration to announce with a month to go is disgraceful. I would have loved to have attended and if I had known back in January I might have been able to juggle, but presently I’m just bloody annoyed, having strived through concours for 10 years, winning Newcommers, POO, V8 and Elite and now to miss this display. The concours and AMHT organisers really do need a kick up the backside.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
So what are the confirmed dates for 2019?
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Why not get AMHT to move the Virage celebration to Spring 2019, when cars started rolling off the line!
Quote 0 0
Anne
2019 - struggling with Spring date at the moment.  Multiple locations tried but ridiculous prices being quoted or they can't accommodate our dates.

Will suggest the Virage display is moved to Spring - likely to depend on the response the Trust has had to date, as they organise that themselves.

Anne
Quote 0 0
Fallonator
I fully understand Geewizzpip's position and how disappointed he is, but must admit to a little nervousness at the suggestion of a change of date. Just for a change, my car is on the road and I will be in the country and able to attend; I can't guarantee the same will be true if the date is moved.
However, I believe he and his car have been significant AMOC concours supporters for long enough and warrant some extra consideration so, I would support a change of date. (I actually paid for my place earlier today [frown]).
If the date changes I can only hope I am in country at the time and that the Turbo Virage is willing.

Cheers
Quote 0 0
philmw
It would be great to get all the Le Mans together next year. I suppose the DB7V crew will want a lookin too.

Then again, ‘only’ next year is probably too short notice to arrange anything, as the Club is discovering.
Quote 0 0
Anne
The date for the autumn Concours won't change. I have passed on the suggestion about the virage display.

Anne
Quote 0 0
mjc23
The Autumn Concours to be held at Hoghton Tower on the 23rd September 2018 will be
my first AMOC concours event since taking on the office of Concours Chairman.

One of my key objectives is to book our concours venues for two years ahead as requested by our Chairman Anne.

My brief for the Spring Concours is basically, the event should be no more than 60miles
from London to accommodate our partner Bonham's, we should like a house, historic building or a museum for members and visitors to visit, the  premises should provide a
dining room for 140 /150 diners, a large visitors car park, an Aston Martin dedicated car park and a large area on which to hold our concours event, allow for an area for the AMHT,
celebration model, Invitation Class, AML Ltd and be in budget.

I apologise that we have, despite our best effort's , not yet secured a suitable venue for next May, hopefully we will some news very soon.

After we have next spring booked please be assured that we shall press on and book venues 
for the next two years.

If any member has a suggestion for a suitable venue please let me know, all suggestions made at our Strategy meeting and by e mail have been logged and will be considered.
All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Kind regards

Martin

Martin Coleman
Director responsible for Social and Concours.

Martin Coleman
Quote 1 0
RobSmith

Hi Folks

It is too late to change the Celebration Display for this Autumn's Hoghton Tower Concours as there are already some bookings. I agree that it is all very short notice but I had to wait until we knew what other elements make up the weekend and were available for booking too. 

So, we shall miss those who are unable to attend and enjoy the weekend with those can.

Please click http://www.amht.org.uk/t/celebrationdisplay to read more and follow the links for the entry form and payment. I look forward to meeting you many of you in Lancashire.

We are busy considering what to celebrate next year and how to work with both AML and the AMOC for what is an important anniversary of an outright Le Mans win and World Sports Car Championship victory. Watch this space for news soon.

btw - I organise the entire Celebration Displays on behalf of the Trust as a volunteer and don't appreciate terms like "disgraceful". I could always just not bother.

Best regards

Rob

Quote 2 0
duncan_wd
I'm glad you do bother Rob.
Lifes not a trial run. Do it don't wish it!

Area 9 North West England
Quote 0 0
asington
Bob - Your efforts are greatly appreciated. I too have organised events and the old saying applies - You can please some of the people some of the time ....... Don't take it to heart! Incidentally - as it's getting more difficult finding suitable locations, may I suggest to the 'powers that be' that the Spring Concours is held at the same location for a period of say 5 years and the Autumn Concours relocates around the country? It may be possible to negotiate a better price for a 5-year contract rather than having a panic looking for yet another location. Burghley House instantly comes to mind. There are others around London - Syon House has adequate space. Over to you! Andrew
Quote 0 0
HarryN
Rob,

I have a ‘96 V8 Coupe (relative of Virage), will these be covered separately in an event in the future - perhaps with respective Vantage? Would be good to know for planning if there is some chronological basis for focus cars.
Quote 0 0
RobSmith
We did the Supercharged Vantages at Duxford back in 2016 and had over 20 present. We will do the V8 Coupe at some stage in the future but I don't know when - there are so many models to cover in 105 years of history.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Slotraccoon wrote:

It is too late to change the Celebration Display for this Autumn's Hoghton Tower Concours as there are already some bookings. I agree that it is all very short notice but I had to wait until we knew what other elements make up the weekend and were available for booking too. 

btw - I organise the entire Celebration Displays on behalf of the Trust as a volunteer and don't appreciate terms like "disgraceful". I could always just not bother.

Best regards

Rob

Firstly it's never too late to change anything, and how many is 'some'?

Secondly, if you think it acceptable to only give one month's notice then moan about the term 'disgraceful' maybe you are the wrong man for the job after all.  It's not exactly arduous, all you have to do is choose a model and announce it, in good time!

Quote 0 0
Anne
geewizzpip wrote:

It's not exactly arduous, all you have to do is choose a model and announce it, in good time!

If it was announced and nothing else done, you wouldn't have a display.  I suspect many hours are spent asking Members with the chosen model to attend and dealing with their questions.

Anne

Quote 1 0
geewizzpip
The club has a membership and ownership database.  How difficult is mail merge these days?
Quote 0 0
rcfurse
geewiz, I do not think you are being very fair. While everyone would agree that as much notice as possible is ideal you must make an allowance for the fact that the Club got itself into something of a mess 30 months ago. No need to rake over the coals again but let's just say that continuity suffered.
I think the team are making a genuine effort to rebuild the long term calender so give them a little breathing space.

As someone who owns a Vanquish I was really quite surprised by how much effort and chasing went into getting the display for the Spring Councours together. And that was from being on the receiving end.
Quote 2 0
Fallonator
Thank you for bothering Rob; very much appreciated
Quote 0 0