glindstrom
I have booked a one week package tour to London in connection with an interest of mine other than collector cars - classical music.

It will be the first week of June 2014, but I am considering extending my stay a week to explore on my own some sites related to sports cars of the 1950's (I am blessed with an MG TD, TR3, XK140, and DB Mark III).

On my short list are Coventry (the Holy City as we call it over here), Beaulieu, and Drayton St. Leonard. I would welcome any suggestions on these or other sites. 

I still haven't decided whether to hire a car or use public transport - I am still shaking from my experience driving on the "wrong" side of the road midst hedgerows in the vicinity of Stonehenge in the 1980's ... ).

Thanks,
  --Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
You've got a good selection there Gary but Io would also suggest the Heritage Museum, near Gaydon as it's full of British cars http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/
The Brooklands Museum is also worth a visit. Closer to the time let's exchange numbers, it would be good to meet-up, I could come to the Barn in my MkIII on the day you visit.

Rgds Rich...
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
glindstrom
Rich5ltr wrote:

You've got a good selection there Gary but Io would also suggest the Heritage Museum, near Gaydon as it's full of British cars http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/
The Brooklands Museum is also worth a visit. Closer to the time let's exchange numbers, it would be good to meet-up, I could come to the Barn in my MkIII on the day you visit.

Terrific, it would be great to meet you.  Will do my research and get back in touch as the date approaches.

Regards,
  --Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
annereed
Hello Gary

The Club has a race meeting at Donington on 7th June. David and I will hopefully be competing in our DB2. There will also be a hospitality suite for Members, along with a parking area for Astons and opportunity to go out on the track parade at lunchtime.

Many of the Areas hold their monthly pub meeting in the first and second week of the month, so it might be worth looking in the monthly AMN to see if there will be one to suit your movements.

If you are coming down to Beaulieu, Area 13 is nearby and we have our monthly meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, just outside Salisbury. We have a few Mk III's who regularly attend - if you let me know that you are able to come along, I can contact them to see if they can bring the cars. The Davron workshop, which usually has a mixture of Feltham's in, is also nearby and you would be welcome to drop in.

Area 21, which is even closer to Beaulieu, has their meeting in the first week of the month.

Anne
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
Wow, sounds like a wealth of riches, all of which I'll ponder.

Sounds like I should more seriously consider a car hire - wonder if there are any modern Astons available ... . 

And I wonder if any driving school training devices can be put in mirror image ... .

Best,
--Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
annereed
Car hire does sound preferable and probably more fun.

Anne
Quote 0 0
gareth
Public transport will in all honesty be expensive, unreliable and crowded. The use of a hire car ( of any description) is a good move as it will let you explore where you want to go not just where the tour/bus/train route is.

i'm sure one of the AML dealers will have, say, a cygnet for hire......
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
gareth wrote:
i'm sure one of the AML dealers will have, say, a cygnet for hire......

Wow, what fun that would be! I'll have to look into this.

Regards,
--Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
NW
Hi Gary,

If you're at Donington - check out the Grand Prix Collection there.  Also, in Coventry, there's the National Motorcycle Museum.  Driving between Donington, Coventry and Gaydon is straightforward by motorways/ major roads, all venues being only a few minutes from exiting the motorways (of course, there are more "interesting" routes should you wish to enjoy the English countryside or the odd pub).
Quote 0 0
Mike_db7
The Coventry Transport Museum is well worth a visit, its free and in the centre of town
Quote 0 0
John Purser
NW wrote:
Also, in Coventry, there's the National Motorcycle Museum

Almost - about 10 miles away, opposite Birmingham airport entrance. You'll spot the 737 tyre marks on the roof.
A great display, highly recommended.

Coventry Museum of Transport has a public car park nearby.

Beaulieu is about 150 miles south of this midlands 'cluster'.
Quote 0 0
Russell
in London they have good zoos and stuff and you could go and see the Spearmint Rhino
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
migtig
Russell wrote:

in London they have good zoos and stuff and you could go and see the Spearmint Rhino

Agree with Russell ,and would give you a guided tour. Then go to Brooklands Musium if you still wanted to see some cars ! :-)
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
So this is shaping up to be an MOC night out to Spearmint Rhino followed by a drive out to Brooklands on the Sunday  gunbarrel!
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
glindstrom
annereed wrote:
If you are coming down to Beaulieu, Area 13 is nearby and we have our monthly meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, just outside Salisbury. We have a few Mk III's who regularly attend - if you let me know that you are able to come along, I can contact them to see if they can bring the cars.

Anne, et al., with my departure about a fortnight away (see I'm learning the lingo ... ) I am coming to grips with plans for my free week, Mon. June 9 to Sun. June 15.

Can you give me the specifics for your Area 13 second Tuesday (June meeting, e.g. hour and venue? The most recent AM News mentions an April meeting at the Fox & Goose in Coombe Bissett, which does sound like a soulful place.

Area 21, which was also mentioned, doesn't have anything going during that week, again per my AM News.

I note Area 10 has a BBQ on Thu. June 12 in Maidensgrove Oxon - does anyone listening have info on that?

Thanks,
--Gary

p.s. I will have had my fill of spearmint rhinos during the cultural portion of my visit the preceding week in London ...
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
vlad
Thursday 12th June  2014 BBQ The Five Horseshoes, Maidensgrove,  Nr Henley-on-Thames Oxon RG9 6EX  from 7.00pm. Pre-booking & payment as above - essential by 3rd June 2014

Sorry, I cannot be more help. I deleted the e-mail containing info.
I am confident you will be welcomed, even if you arrive anannounced.
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Gary - I was talking to Tony Hoskinson a couple of hours ago about people who turn up to events unannounced, including to this BBQ (which is at a very good place)!
We were divided between flogging or tarring/feathering or both ;D
If you can come to Maidengrove, just drop Tony a line and say you'll pay on the night.
If you're a 'possible' but make it, don't worry, you will be made just as welcome, I am sure.
Quote 0 0
annereed
Gary

I'm about to send you a pm with the details of Area 13 meeting.

Thanks

Anne
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
John Purser wrote:
Gary - I was talking to Tony Hoskinson a couple of hours ago about people who turn up to events unannounced including to this BBQ (which is at a very good place)!
We were divided between flogging or tarring/feathering or both

Our preferred treatment here in Utah is to strap the miscreant to a red rock, spread honey on him/her, and upset an apiary nearby.

Anyhow I have received kind invitations to both the Area 10 and 13 events, and am making arrangements.

Cheers,
--Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
Tim M
Don't bring any children, I've heard that they eat them down there!!! 
Quote 0 0
John Purser
glindstrom wrote:
Anyhow I have received kind invitations to both the Area 10 and 13 events, and am making arrangements.

Enjoy and don't forget your bee keeping- out apparel !
Quote 0 0
glindstrom
All,

I'm about to head out for my trip across the Pond. Thanks for your help in lining up attractions and events for my free week June 9 - 15.

In a nutshell, here's how it all lines up: Mon 6/9 Beaulieu, Tue 6/10 AMHT and AMOC Area 13 in Coombe Bissett, Wed 6/11 Haynes Int'l Motor Museum and Area 4 Natter & Noggin, Thu 6/12 Area 10 BBQ in Maidensgrove, Fri 6/13 Bletchley Park (respite from car stuff), Sat 6/14 Heritage Motor Centre Gaydon, Sun 6/15 Stratford-upon-Avon (more car respite), Mon 6/16 departure from LHR.

Whew, I just hope I can parse all the dialects and avoid the lorries on the motorways ... .
--Gary
  --Gary
Quote 0 0
annereed
We look forward to seeing you at the Area 13 meeting. There should be 2 Feltham cars there and 2 owners, although one is unlikely to have their Aston with them.

Anne
Quote 0 0