paulwithap
I am looking for an Aston Martin driver to rent their car out to me to take to my prom on May 19-20. I'm not sure where to post this, since it's not really a wtb/wtt thread. I am a responsible driver, I have driven stick for 3 years, never been in an accident that was my fault, and I am willing to write up a contract placing full liability on me in the unlikely event that anything would go wrong. I will also include a free oil change with the rental. If interested, please PM me, or reply to the thread. We can negotiate pricing/mileage at that time.
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
Hi, It's a tricky one to answer.

Wrong side of Lake Michigan but I think your nearest dealer is at Troy, MI  http://www.jaguaroftroy.com/ . Maybe they could help?

Jim
Quote 0 0
gekko
Might want to look into a few options:

http://www.conciergecarservice.com/VehicleDetail.aspx?id=7
http://experiences.us.lastminute.com/experience.php?giftId=6047

Rental age is 25 in most places, so likely will need a chauffeur to drive you.

Good Luck -
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
"...never been in an accident that was my fault'"

Honesty in advertising.  It's a wonderful thing. 
Quote 0 0
paulwithap
gekko wrote:

Might want to look into a few options:

http://www.conciergecarservice.com/VehicleDetail.aspx?id=7
http://experiences.us.lastminute.com/experience.php?giftId=6047

Rental age is 25 in most places, so likely will need a chauffeur to drive you.

Good Luck -

I've already checked out exotic car rentals, and they're way overpriced, only include 100-150 miles, and are all in Chicago.  Just the trip from Chicago and back would put me over.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
I think you may not have grasped the personal nature of Aston Martin ownership. Sugesting an oil change would be included is a little like asking your young ladys mother if you can borow a tube of KY jelly.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Quote:

I've already checked out exotic car rentals, and they're way overpriced, only include 100-150 miles, and are all in Chicago.  Just the trip from Chicago and back would put me over.

Get them to deliver the car on a low loader...
Quote 0 0
jhoneyball
paulwithap wrote:

I'm confused, why do you think an owner would let you borrow their pride and joy for a rate substantially less than, and on lesser terms than a rental company????
Quote 0 0
shanasharn
Are you nuts????  Why would an aston owner want to hand over his aston to a kid for fun?????   
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
Having wondered whether it was a beautifully written wind-up with every phrase designed to cause alarm, I came to the conclusion that this was not the case and that it was a good honest query of the type many more youngsters ought to be asking. 

One suspects that if it were a request from the home counties someone would wade in with a feasible solution, especially to help a keen youngster on his important night out.  It is a pity that there isn't more help available in the area which is, after all, highly-famed for its motor cycles.

AZ's idea of a trnasporter for one rented from Chicago seems the most practical so far.

Jim
Quote 0 0
paulwithap
jhoneyball wrote:

paulwithap wrote:

I'm confused, why do you think an owner would let you borrow their pride and joy for a rate substantially less than, and on lesser terms than a rental company????

1.  Because the owner would be getting several hundred dollars in exchange for a few miles on their car.
2.  Lesser terms?  You have no basis for this argument.
Quote 0 0
paulwithap
Dixy wrote:

I think you may not have grasped the personal nature of Aston Martin ownership. Sugesting an oil change would be included is a little like asking your young ladys mother if you can borow a tube of KY jelly.

Not everyone enjoys a car like you. Don't assume that.
Quote 0 0
paulwithap
shanasharn wrote:

Are you nuts????   Why would an aston owner want to hand over his aston to a kid for fun?????     

1.  Several hundred dollars in payment.
2.  Complete liability on my part.
3.  You have nothing to lose except a little of your time.
Quote 0 0
CJ
As the resident teenager, I know your intentions are good, but I think you're going to have a very hard time finding an owner to go along with this.

My advice to you is to find yourself a Rolls Royce and chauffeur.

Good luck in the search.

CJ
Quote 0 0
Cyclist55
Hello Paul,

Good luck with your search.

I don't lend my car to anyone, so I am not singling you out because of your age, but a few concerns would be:

Have you got the wherewithal to honour your commitment should any damage occur?

How would the car be treated in those "few" miles?

How would your friends treat it while you are showing it off to them?

Could you resist the temptation to do a "Ferris Bueller"?

Again, I wish you well with your search.

Cyclist.
RichardB
Quote 0 0
jhoneyball
paulwithap wrote:

1.  Because the owner would be getting several hundred dollars in exchange for a few miles on their car.

Oh, plenty of basis. You havent mentioned:

a) how many miles
b) how big a security deposit you will make, and with whom
c) who you will get insurance with

shall I go on?
Quote 0 0
Webby
Rearrange these words to form a sentence.

have lightning chance struck by more of you being
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
You have to give Paul credit for coming up with an idea other than the standard limo hired by many  young people for the event .  Limo,  Zzzzzzzzzzzz.  Don’t do a limo.  Especially do not ever, ever, rent a stretch Hummer unless your highest aspiration in life is to wear Rayon trousers with a stretch elastic waistband. 

In context, owners are very possessive of their cars.  We don’t even trust an authorized dealer for repairs unless we’ve dealt with them previously or know they have a sterling reputation.  Even then, taking their children and pets as collateral doesn’t strike me as being unreasonable. 

An oil change?  I’ll trade you a Snickers bar for three days with your girlfriend.  It’s about the same level of exchange.  A couple hundred bucks will cover a new pair of windshield wipers; I kid you not.  A minor scratch and dent will run more than $1,000 and leave the owner without his car for more than a week. 

I agree with CJ,  get yourself a regular passenger Rolls or Bentley, not limo, if all you’re doing is getting to and from the prom.  You’ll still be way ahead in cool factor, show good taste and have classy transport.  The prom is all indoors, not many are going to be hanging around the parking lot checking out the rides.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Indeed - hats off to Paul for both good taste and initiative.

In short, I would go with the Rolls (or better Bentley) chauffeur driven to the door.  That enables you to get frisky with your date in the back (getting frisky with your date is the point of a prom, n'est-ce pas?), not worry about what is happening to the car when you are in the prom and is soooooooooooooooo much classier than a limo that it isn't even in the same universe.

If you are set on the Aston, hire it from one of the exotic places, get it shipped to and from Chicago and use the 150 miles locally.  I don't think an owner is likely to do it for a lesser price, if at all (I wouldn't let someone I didn't know VERY well drive my car - it only falls slightly short of asking to sleep with my wife or daughter...).

On a point of order:
paulwithap wrote:

jhoneyball wrote:

paulwithap wrote:

One obvious possible basis would be your own comment:
paulwithap wrote:

I've already checked out exotic car rentals, and they're way overpriced
(my emphasis)

This suggests that you would pay an owner substantially less than the going rate IMHO.
Quote 0 0
Webby
I'd like to up Wolf's offer. A Mars Bar and lots of snickers.  ;D
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Bizarly I have spent Too much time thinking about this thread today. I think your aproach has been from the wrong angle. Offering money to someone who already has an Aston is the wrong insentive. If you had thrown yourself on there mercy and said your wench had offerd sexual favours if you collected her in an Aston. Some owner may have felt it was sufficiently good a cause.
As usual the only sednsible post is from AZ.
Quote 0 0
paulwithap
jhoneyball wrote:

paulwithap wrote:

Oh, plenty of basis. You havent mentioned:

a) how many miles
b) how big a security deposit you will make, and with whom
c) who you will get insurance with

shall I go on?

Take a look at the last sentence of the my initial post.
Quote 0 0
paulwithap
I ended up finding a pack of Mitsubishi Evos to take my friends and I for free.  It's not an Aston, but it'll still look cool with 20 of the same kind of loud turbocharged car pulling up.  Thank you to cyclist, cj, az, and anyone else who posted a mature thought-out response.
Quote 0 0
CJ
Glad to hear about the happy ending! Enjoy it!
Quote 0 0
WolfVaB
Well, that should make it a Tokyo Drift kind of evening. 

The preference and predilections you list on your publicly available profile on the web are also available to HR departments as well as Aston owners.  You should think about changing them before graduation.  Do people really like those tats?
Quote 0 0