Webby Show full post »
astro
More wrinkles than inches nowadays I'm afraid!
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
I still want to know why my car was not judged.....and Gareth's....
Ooooppps...I did it again....
Quote 0 0
MPD
tony-hall-40 wrote:

Your car was locked and we were unable to judge the interior, therefore it was pointless judging the rest of it, as the final score would be less 25 anyway, giving you very little chance of winning.

Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
My car was not locked....I unlocked it when the judges arrived....still no matter like you said I had no chance of winning....like most people who actually use their cars
Quote 0 0
MPD
tony-hall-40 wrote:

My car was not locked....I unlocked it when the judges arrived....still no matter like you said I had no chance of winning....like most people who actually use their cars

I took it upon myself to consult with the judges of Entry on the Day Class at the 2015 Spring Concours today, to ascertain the facts. The response I have pasted below:

"As I remember, when we got to the end of the row to judge body, chassis and engine, one of the judging team reported that both the last two cars, including Tony’s, were locked.  Neither of the owners was there to unlock their cars.  As this would have prevented us from judging the engine, we decided that there was no point in judging either car any further."
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
Better get the car booked in to get the locks looked at.....
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Does the Aston re-lock itself if you unlock it but don't then open a door or touch any other control? My Volvo does and not wanting to be funny, I know Aston use some Volvo electronics.
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
John Purser
A lot of cars automatically relock if you unlock, but don't open a door . My Volvo does that - 3 minutes to get in, I think.
Quote 0 0
dwell
My V8Vantage will automatically relock after a short delay if you do not open a door.....
Quote 0 0
MPD
Rich5ltr wrote:

Does the Aston re-lock itself if you unlock it but don't then open a door or touch any other control? My Volvo does and not wanting to be funny, I know Aston use some Volvo electronics.

Gaydon models do not lock automatically after a period of the doors being closed.
Quote 0 0
MPD
tony-hall-40 wrote:

Some more responses for the Judges that judged Entry on the Day Class:

"I can confirm that two cars were locked at the time of judging in the Entry On the Day Class. I don't know the two gentlemen personally who locked there cars, but given that the assembly at Woburn was not just high quality cars, but equally high quality and trust worthy people, why should there be any need to lock a car?"

"From memory, the car was locked."

There were many cars to judge and to my knowledge at no point during the judging did he appear for us to ask him to open the car. I'm not familiar with the owner. As I'm sure you can appreciate we simply don't have time to walk around chasing the owner. In hindsight we could have made an announcement over the tannoy, however the fact remains, don't come to a Concours and lock your car”
Quote 0 0
dwell
Mark Donoghue wrote:

Gaydon models do not lock automatically after a period of the doors being closed.
- Mark, I have no axe to grind here but I think you miss the point - what I was confirming is that as stated above with a 'Gaydon' car (or at least mine) if you unlock the car but do not then open a door it will re-lock after a few minutes delay. Tony may have thought the car unlocked, but by the time the judge arrived it was no longer so... Just trying to help, Dave
Quote 0 0
MPD
dwell wrote:

- Mark, I have no axe to grind here but I think you miss the point - what I was confirming is that as stated above with a 'Gaydon' car (or at least mine) if you unlock the car but do not then open a door it will re-lock after a few minutes delay. Tony may have thought the car unlocked, but by the time the judge arrived it was no longer so... Just trying to help, Dave

dwell, that's really interesting, as I have had 2 DB9 Volante's and a DBS from new and none of them locked themselves. Can anyone shed any light on this, as to whether it may be programmed to lock?
Quote 0 0
Ian Postles
Hi Mark, they do lock after a couple of minutes if you unlocked the car but did not open any of the doors or the boot.  I guess that the car thinks if you have not done anything in a couple of minutes then it was a mistake trying to open it.  If you open a door after it was unlocked then I do not believe the car will lock itself.  Well that what ours do anyway.
Quote 0 0
astro
I believe I'm correct in saying that the doore will not relock themselves if the keys are in the ignition switch.
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
Just FYI if you leave the keys in the ignition in the Wedge the doors will lock after a couple of minutes. Sometimes. 
Roger I
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Given the vagaries of electronics in cars ancient and modern, I think that entrants to Concours might be advised to hover around their cars until they have established eye contact with the judges. Dressed as we are as Laboratory Technicians on a day out, we're hardly inconspicuous.
Quote 0 0
astro
Fair comment John. I would have thought that most entrants would have been polishing etc until the last minute anyway. I certainly did.
Quote 0 0
MPD
For the record, the factory have informed me of the following with regard to auto locking:

• No Gaydon built cars can be programmed to self-lock (the worry being that keys could be accidentally locked inside)
    [*] All models will re-lock themselves if the car is unlocked by the r/c and the doors are then not opened within a certain period of time (so if you wanted to open a locked car and leave it unlocked, you would have to press ‘unlock’ and then open a door and close it again. It would then remain unlocked)
Quote 0 0
tony-hall-40
That's good to know....thankyou for taking the time in your very busy schedule to sort that one out....
Quote 0 0