pbrett
Who else is taking their Aston along to the World Rowing Champs on Friday next week as part of the "Celebrating British" theme?
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Might do.  As an ex-oarsman, it might be rather fun.
Quote 0 0
pbrett
AMOC has arranged a small display, there will be 24 Astons there in an enclosure on friday.

Hey Zagato who did you row for and when? I might have raced you!!

UL and Lea RC here.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
I was Cambridge University (Lightweights), Leander and Marlow RC.  Last time I rowed in anger was HRR in 87.
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Was that the year you came 403rd 
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
In my parlance:
HRR = Henley Royal Regatta
HoRR = Head of the River Race

As you know, it is only possible to be 403rd in the HoRR.

As it happens, we lost in the first round at Henley that year.  First race of the day IIRC.  So you weren't far off. 

Frustratingly, we lost by two feet.  Worse, it was the second fastest time of the day (only the crew that beat us went faster that day).  Our time was the fourth fastest time in the competition overall and we lost to the eventual losing finalist.  Fast crew and nothing to show for it.  That was a bit annoying...
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
It was only possible for us to come 403 if 17 boats sank. I have only represented my club at Henly in the fawly bar.
Quote 0 0
pbrett
I won't boast about Henley, but...

Can't remember what I did in 87 but remember getting knocked out by Holmes and redgrave on the Friday in 86!

I have also climbed about 403 places in the HoRR. Embarassingly I find myself rowing with a bunch of old tabs at the moment doing vet stuff :-[
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
We once did the HoRR one day and the vets head the next, it would not have been so bad if we had not tried on the Saturday.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
pbrett wrote:

Can't remember what I did in 87 but remember getting knocked out by Holmes and redgrave on the Friday in 86!

Margin?  And how much were you over-rating them along the enclosures?

They were rather a class apart.  I remember one year (I think when he was partnered with Pinsent) Redgrave stopping rowing in the middle of the course and taking off his sweatshirt.  They still won with ease.

Any 'tabs that I would have known (I was 82-85 and coached various college and uni crews up to about ?
Quote 0 0
pbrett
The quote in the times on the saturday was:" Holmes and Redgrave beat Brett and Smith easily doing a good impersonation of slow motion rowing through the enclosures!!" Not my finest moment at Henley, but I was only young then and it hardened my resolve to win there!

Have done back to back HoRR and vet heads 3 times before, hard work with only a few hours sleep and a stonking hang over! Won the vets head overall each time.

Now just playing at vet c and came 4th overall this year.
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Quote:
"Holmes and Redgrave beat Brett and Smith easily doing a good impersonation of slow motion rowing through the enclosures"
No shame in that - they were a rather superhuman.
Quote:
Won the vets head overall each time.
Good going.  I always think vet rowing is bloody hard - lots of weery good, very competitive oarsmen who barely step down their training to go pot-hunting. 

My wife was a better cox than I was an oarsman.  Won a blue with CUWBC, should have coxed the Oxford Blue Boat but had an unpleasant exchange with Topolski and then went on to win a gold medal at the Nat Champs with Leander (first woman to cox Leander).  Was asked to cox the women's National squad but turned it down 'cos the ladies were too slow after racing with the men.
Quote 0 0
pbrett
Knowing Dan's reputation it was probably a sexual advance on his part!

He used to parade around in a famous American comediene's pants for here whilst taking pics for her portfolio!  Straight from the horses mouth that one so I have no reason to believe she lied!!
Quote 0 0