nmv2and3
You will have seen the AM News piece by Roy Smith about a major weekend event in September next year at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, Somerset, being organised by Quentin Parker and me.

The date is not yet firm as we need to deconflict with the Goodwood Revival whose 2009 date will not be set till October this year

In brief the weekend should comprise

Visits to Fleet Air Arm Museum
Runway Runs (Saturday)
Aston photos with historic aircraft
Dinner under wings of Concorde 002, the British flying prototype
Autumn Concours (Sunday)
Historic aircraft fly-in and hopefully opportunity to buy passenger flying slots

You can email me on raf@amoc.org

Regards

David
Quote 0 0
TVJL
Fantastic stuff. I'm not going to miss this one.
Quote 0 0
Rich5ltr
Sounds like a cracker... whilst you're trying to avoid the revival weekend you may also want to work 'round the ANGOULEME CIRCUIT DES REMPARTS. This is something I have been meaning to get across to for years and every year I fail. Sooner or later I will get to both the Revival and Angouleme togther Rich...
Still burning hydrocarbons just for fun! 

Quote 0 0
John D. Papaevangelou
Q: How can one improve on the Cottesmore event?
A: Organise something around a Naval installation  ;D

Brilliant!
Quote 0 0
Russell
cottesmore was truly a great event of a particullar type and would take some imagination to better it, and then this pops up. dont know what you are on but keep taking it.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence ? i think not.
Quote 0 0
HiHoDB6
There is mention of a runway run - is this on a carrier deck?? If so, could we have markers along the deck as well as at the braking point - I chickened out at Cottesmore thinking I had missed the markers - others missed the markers and had some sideways fun. If it's a Harrier deck I want to see the Le Mans 600 launching under full throttle.
Quote 0 0
philmw
Quote 0 0
nmv2and3
I have been driven down the Yeovilton runway (in a safety vehicle!) and I recall there are side markers every 1000 ft. It's not the Carrier Deck; the ski jump was dismantled earler this year, sorry to disappoint!

It is 1000 ft shorter than Cottesmore but most should find that is not a problem for Vmax, and we'll adopt the same safety principle as at Cottesmore by having a 2000 ft deceleration zone at the end. This will be important as there is a river at the end of the runway beyond the security fence....

Within the museum there is an excellent exhibition based on part of a Carrier deck with aircraft etc, and this is where the predinner reception will take place on the Saturday evening before the Concorde dinner

If you are interested then please email me on raf@amoc.org thanks

Regards

David
Quote 0 0
RCVantage
Olympus wrote:

Q: How can one improve on the Cottesmore event?
A: Organise something around a Naval installation  ;D

Brilliant!

Spoken like a true Ex-Sailor JP...

Personally I love the message in AM Newsheet #675 Bottom of Page 4...

RC

Quote 0 0
Mr Toad
Admiral Toad is definitely up for this one, Ex HMS TRIUMPH,HMS BRISTOL,HMS JUFAIR,HMS WIZARD,HMS TERROR,HMS TAMAR,HMS SHEBA,USS ZELLARS,HMNZS TARANAKI,    Oh a life on the ocean wave, ;D ;D
Quote 0 0
John Purser
Saw the carrier exhibit several years ago, when it was newly installed - very good indeed. A great weekend in store for us all - including families.
Quote 0 0
Nigel
ROJ may have wheels by then, but I very much doubt he'll be up to racing down runways...

But try, I wil!

Quote 0 0