Charlie Show full post »
geewizzpip
Why some of us golfers all take the cars to Le Touquet for a game and meet CJ etc.  Can do a single day or an overnight (two rounds etc).
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Whoops, I thought CJ was from France.  Just seen another thread.
Quote 0 0
HiHoDB6
geewizzypip's on the pop again
Quote 0 0
Webby
While you are in London Charles you should visit Abbey Road Studios and take a photograph on 'that' zebra crossing!
Quote 0 0
jhoneyball
CJ

You should definitely visit RSWilliams in Cobham. A real treat if you like the older cars
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Castle Combe is a very pretty village - there is more to see than just cars (I can't believe I just said that...).  Tea in the Manor (now a hotel) is rather nice.  Bath is a short trip away for more non-car related culture.

Nicholas Mee in NW London always has a nice collection of cars on show but remember it is a business not a museum.
Quote 0 0
milog
CJ,

Defenitely visit RSWilliams in Cobham. I visited it last year before the Works Auction on an Area meeting and it was great fun.
Quote 0 0
cwallace1309
I am getting to this thread late, Charlie, due to vacation, work (yes, most of those here do that) and other commitments.  But I want to echo Mike?s comments about your son.  CJ has brought a welcome injection of youthful enthusiasm to this place, and reminded us of the importance of not losing touch with the young man inside in the horrible business of growing up.  Good on you for fueling his interest.

And I agree with AZ that there is more to see on your trip than just cars.  Britain is, without a doubt, the centre of the English-speaking world, and a visit should be part of everyone's education.  Several visits, actually; it would take a lifetime to see half of the fascinating cultural, historical and economic landmarks, so a week is barely an introduction.  I defer to the others who live there for the best recommendations (I am Canadian and live in Vancouver), but pick a period in history and Britain has it.  Stone age -- Stonehenge;  Roman times -- Bath or Hadrian's Wall.  Warwick Castle is not far from the Aston sites mentioned and a good glimpse of medieval Britain.  Ironbridge is a fascinating museum of the Industrial Revolution -- except it's not a museum, it's the real thing!  I could walk in London for hours, down Whitehall, along Fleet Street and on to legal London at the Inns of Court.  Too much to see to even begin to mention.  Just do it.  (Yes, bring Nikes, you'll need them.)  I promise you you will have the time of your lives.

I'm all misty-eyed now.  Time for another trip.
Quote 0 0
Neil the Vet
And here was me thinking of moving to Portugal. Craig, you've changed my mind (nearly............you forgot to mention the midges)
Quote 0 0
cwallace1309
Oh, I forgot to mention that they talk funny. 

What the hell are "midges"?  Do you mean those ridiculously small fridges you have over there?
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
He's Scottish.  Midges are mosquito like insects that turn the wilds of Scotland in Summer from being one of the most gorgeous places on God's Earth to being one of the most annoying...  Not something found south of York.

What do you call them in Alaksa and Canada?
Quote 0 0
cwallace1309
Hercules Transport insects.  They are large enough that, if the airport crews aren’t careful, they can pump 100,000 gallons of fuel into them before the mistake is realised.
Quote 0 0
Neil the Vet
;DWhereas in Scotland, the midges suck 100,000 gallons out of you before you have time to apply your autan/jungle juice etc etc
Quote 0 0
Nigel
Do not forget our rolling hills, delightful villages and tranquil woodlands, we have National Trails and public rights of way that stretch from coast to coast - and, ahem, naked men.

"Naked rambler completes his trek

The man dubbed the naked rambler has finally completed his marathon trek from Land's End to John O'Groats.  Stephen Gough, 44, from Hampshire, finished his walk after seven months, much of which was spent in jail.  Mr Gough celebrated with a bottle of champagne and said he was looking forward to a good meal and a soft bed before heading home to Hampshire.  The former Royal Marine made the 900-mile journey to question society's attitude towards the human body. He was arrested several times, made several court appearances and served two jail sentences on his journey, following complaints from members of the public."

(I wonder how he coped with the mighty midges?)
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Nigel,

I don't think you're helping here!  First CJ goes to his father and says "I want to go and meet a bunch of strange men I met through the internet".

Now you're telling him that the UK is full of naked ramblers...  We won't see them for dust!
;D ;D
Quote 0 0
Wedgie
A call to Service Reception (+44 ( 1908 619534/ & a little explanation should get you a short tour round service, heritage etc. If you have any problem with this I am sure there are people on the Forum who can assist.

RSW & Chiltern Aston plus others mentioned above are there if you want to OD on Astons.

Roger I
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
Helo Charles Junior Senior, is it just the two of you or are there females coming? only I have found that they are just a tad less interested in cars.

Is there to be a Forum world conferance this year? if no date is set can it coincide? ( when I was lying in an Austrian hospital recently, the nurses translation for mooving my bowells was "had I had a big conferance)
Quote 0 0
CJ
It just the two of us, my mother and brother are staying here.

Thanks to all who have assisted with ideas so far. Please keep it coming!
Quote 0 0
rhward
CJ,

Not being a car buff, I am not someone who can recommend lots of car things to do.  But it does seem to me that it would be a great shame to travel all the way to the UK and miss out on the huge variety of other things that are on offer.  The foxy blond cheerleader who wants to hear all about your trip to the UK is going to glaze over pretty quickly if all you have to tell her about is car factories ? what she really wants to know is if you met Hugh Grant in Notting Hill (although obviously you can point out that now he has got rid of his Vanquish and bought a Porsche you didn?t want to meet)!

Of course there are all the usual London touristy things, many of which are actually quite entertaining ? the London Eye, the London Dungeon, the Tower, Tower Bridge, Hampton Court etc, all of which are worth doing if you are in London for a couple of days.

Personally though I would try and take in some of the following:

Henley Royal Regatta - 28 June ? 2 July this year ? a fabulous example of a Great British Sporting Event ? lots of Pimms and Champagne and nobody watching the rowing - http://www.hrr.co.uk/.  If you go early during the week you may even get Steward?s Enclosure tickets (about ?30 each ? strict dress code).

Punting in Cambridge ? all very Brideshead Revisited (even though that was Oxford) ? an amazing city (quite sobering that most of it was built before the USA had been discovered!) and great fun punting on the Cam (or even better up to Grantchester) ? take a picnic and have a very cheap day out.

Also consider the Grand National at Aintree, and the Chelsea Flower Show, Wimbledon, Royal Ascot, and the ?Proms? concerts.  Obviously to kit yourselves out properly you will need a trip to Jermyn Street! 

For a bit of culture there are hundreds of shows in London, though a black tie night at The Royal Opera House (preferably a box of course!) takes some beating for sense of occasion.

You are spoilt for choice eating wise, depending on budget ? although there are many places that require booking months in advance you can walk into many fabulous restaurants in London and get a table.  Or you could do the celebrity spotting thing at the Ivy (you need a months old reservation or an A-list face to get a table for dinner, but you can usually get a table for lunch at a day?s notice or less).  And if you are up in Oxfordshire, the Fat Duck at Bray was recently voted the best restaurant in the world, and there is also Le Manoir au Quat' Saisons, home to Raymond Blanc and one of the most sumptuous seven-course suppers in the country. 

But obviously the most important British institution is tea.  Champagne tea at the Ritz is a bit cliched and over-rated, but try the same at the Lanesborough, or if you are up North then toasted teacakes at Bettys Team Rooms in Harrogate, Yorkshire, (open since , and if you are down in Devon then you must have clotted cream and scones.
Quote 0 0
Lordsoandso
Henry, that's not a suggestion it's an oath of allegiance. I wept openly!
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
As an ex-rower (member of Stewards and Leander), Cambridge graduate and living near Cambridge, I can atest to the truth of Henry's words on Henley and Cambridge.  Wonderful days spent by the river....
Quote 0 0
rhward
A real rower AZ!  I'm impressed.  I have sported a competitor's badge in the past but sensibly got knocked out extremely early on so as to concentrate on the proper business of Pimmsing.  Will your Aston be gracing the carpark this year? 
And which college were you at?
Quote 0 0
Charlie
AMOC Members:

I want to thank the AMOC members for your iinsights.....CJ and I are busy sorting out how we can take advantage of
all your suggestions. We have many to choose. 

Although we aren't locked into a time frame yet, late August seems most realistic....

Gaydon, The Barn and Newport Pagnell rate high on our (CJ's) list of "things to do."

Seeing the sites of London are on our agenda too.
(I can't "Imagine" going to the London and NOT visiting "Abbey Road"

Again, thank you
Quote 0 0
Jimbo
Charlie/CJ

Some things I would suggest are:

Day trip to Paris on Eurostar train. Goes very fast from Waterloo in centre of London to Gare du Nord in centre of Paris.  Lunch at George V hotel in between inspections of Louvre (Mona Lisa/Venus de Milo) and Orsay (Impressionists in same league as the one in Chicago) museums in morning and Eifell Tower ascent in afternoon.

Duxford Imperial War Museum site. At Duxford airfield just South of Cambridge. Includes a Concorde, Vulcan and special American Air Museum with U2, SR71, B52, Shooting Star, B17, B29, F111, Scud, Patriot). v good. Also, houses the stations's original 1940 Battle of Britain fighter control room and is rather historic because it was in a few rooms like this that the battle was run to prevent invasion in 1940.  Almost every day there will be a P51 or Spitfire or Hurricane going up for a run.  http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/ 

For more aircraft, Shuttleworth Collection at Biggleswade has country's best selection of aircraft from 1900 up to 1940, mostly British fighters. Very quaint airfield.  They do occasionally have flying days and almost all of the aircraft goup, but some of the really old one are restricted to short hops.   http://www.shuttleworth.org/shuttleworth/index.htm

Quote 0 0
CJ
Thanks to all!

Do I have to let AMOC know that I'll be attending the Gaydon tour on Aug. 23? If so, how do I do that?
Quote 0 0