NeilwilliamsV8 Show full post »
WolfVaB
I was going to suggest a brick sized bundle of bank notes but Astonatic’s advice is better.  Do cell phones work at the site?
Quote 0 0
alecmartin
andrew,we bought food at the hypermarkets and cooked on site no problem.We also picked up a few snacks around the site without problems.plenty of booze available without too much struggle.mobiles do work if you change your format.I feel you may have to fight for camping space going on thursday though.we arrived on tuesday and had a choice,but only because an advance party had fenced off an area for the club arnage members.One must have is a fm radio you can pick them up for a couple of quid.But also had a great one with stop watch given to us on the site.Field glasses are also a must have.Arnage on friday morning is a hoot.Also take a good hat!..the poor buggers that had to stand in the sun last year at the race start must have felt terrible.The grandstand is the way to go.have a great time and the two must haves as i have said are The radio and the glasses.I,ll make sure mandy is OK while you are away....
Quote 0 0
AstonZagato
Take some sound isolating ear-bud headphones or ear plugs.  The sound of the engines is fabulous but after a few hours (remember there are 24...) it does start to pall.

I have some Etymotic ER6 headhones for my iPod and these are wonderful for blocking out the background sound so you can listen to the commentary.

Ear plugs are great if you want to put your head down for a couple of hours kip. 

Copious amounts of beer also work...
Quote 0 0
pbrett
Must haves!

Ear plugs, cash (don't rely on being able to get to the cash amchines at the circuit) FM radio for the commentary, plenty of bottled water for drinking and clqeaning teeth, spare bog roll and anadin for the mornings after.

That should just about do the trick.
Quote 0 0
williamp
What you want to know?

well, try this website: http://www.beermountain.com.

A very good websit showing what can happen if yuo dont stay sober, and a very good list of what to take.

First on the list is the Aston.
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Cap, chair, glasses, water, ear plugs, FM radio, hip flask, camera, phone with French Sim, beer tokens, map to the champagne bar, pass to AM hospitality unit!
Quote 0 0
Andrew Ross
From whom do I obtain the AM hosritality pass? and the map?
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
I have received a letter from Page and Moy today stating the start and finish of the race have been put back an hour and will now start and finish at 5pm not 4. This has had a knock on effect in that I cannot make the flight back tha night and have to stay overnight. Others may be in the same situation as me. Martin
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
B*ugger, if that's true it means getting to a restaurant in Le Touquet on Sunday night might be difficult.  Perhaps I will try to play at Paris National course instead on Monday.
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Don't think P & M would book hotel rooms etc if it wasn't true. Sorry. Martin
Quote 0 0
astonatic
official line from Le Mans

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/actu/2006_01_09_horaires_24h2006_gb.html
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Fair enough, thanks for that. Can you put it in my Le Mans start/finish time thread please. martin
Quote 0 0
pbrett
Bit of a pain for the return journey times!!

Last year I left at 1.00pm before the race finished and had a really good clear trip to Ruone.  No police (they were all having lunch) and had a good dice with a 911 and 2 BMWs in convoy.  They were surprised they had so much trouble coping with speed of my MGC.  Had a good chat with them at a petrol station just before the motorway.

Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
How could you leave before the end?
Quote 0 0
alecmartin
we left before the end and watched it in a bar on the side of the road.Then continued up to beax...beeh..bayyeux.....that place where the big mat is!...and stayed overnight for a ferry the next afternoon.very civilised.
Quote 0 0
pbrett
Caned it to Calais got Eurotunnel and arrived at the outlaws in Sevenoaks in time for a nice Sunday dinner!

That said if I had known the MG was going to win its class I might have stayed around for the festivities with my MG
Quote 0 0
Geoff_V8
Which is why leaving before the end is a BAD idea!!!!

You just never know what might happen.....
Quote 0 0
pbrett
I have found the trouble in the past is resisting more champagne, thus making the return journey slower and rather illegal for the first couple of hours!
Quote 0 0
Geoff_V8
Which is why we travel back on the monday evening ferry!
Quote 0 0
pbrett
Usually have to get back for work etc!

Plus the drive back on sunday is good fun with other classics around and the French villagers lining up to see you come past.

Shame about les flics and their speed cameras though.
Quote 0 0
astonatic
Change in plans for this year.
Is anyone travelling down to Le Mans on Wednesday 14th?
Quote 0 0
geewizzpip
Thursday morning for me, and golf on the Monday in Le Touquet!
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Anyone fancy meeting up sometime during the race? Perhaps for supper on the Saturday or lunch on Sunday? Martin P.S. CJ just for you this is post 500! Roger photo gone again!!!!
Quote 0 0
mcatlin
Hey got my car back, great!! Had a letter from Page and Moy today not enough people had booked my tour so it has been cancelled. I'm now having to travel all the way there and back by coach. I hope we win even more now! Martin
Quote 0 0
Geoff_V8
Coach eeeeek.  I did that back in the 80's. Once. Went on an off for a few years then really picked it back up in 2000 and have been for the last 5 years, and we are going this year too (and we are going to the Classic). And we have a hotel.  I'm too old for the camping lark, and we like our creature comforts toooo much anyway.

Geoff
Quote 0 0